Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cisco Press update PKI Uncovered

 Well, I have done some more reading of the book that was sent to me by Cisco Press. I must say that so far I am finding it a nice read. I am not a security guy by trade. However, I would like to be more involved with security at sometime in my career. So, I know some of the things that the book is talking about but not all. For those of you who did not see my last blog post I am reviewing a book entitled PKI Uncovered which is one of the many fine books offered by Cisco Press.
  The book flows very nicely and has a lot of great illustrations to help the reader understand what the text is attempting to show. I find the illustrations to be great and very helpful at times. Along with the diagrams and illustrations the book shows many examples of what one would see if they were actually looking at a computer screen and running the actions from the text. Again, I find this very helpful when one is reading on the go and does not have a lab with them to try the commands out at that very moment.
   Having the book on the go was one thing that I was most impressed with and that I liked the most about the book. The book is small and friendly in size and appearance while still being packed with a ton of information.  I made a comment to that on my last blog and I still feel the same way. I have some tech books that are just intimidating and un comfortable to read due to size and cover options.  PKI Uncovered is about eight inches tall by about six inches long and about half an inch thick with a very bendable spine making it very comfortable to read and to pack in your bag or to simply carry in hand. The cover is orange and white with an image of a data center with employees talking and looking very relaxed. Again, I like this simple because I have books that just look like they would be  a pain to read. PKI Uncovered finishes up with two hundred and fifty three pages. So the book is not terrible long which is another point that I like in regards to technical books.  PKI Uncovered is broken down into three parts. Labeled and part one, part two and of course part three. within those parts are the chapters. I will break the book down into the parts and the chapters  below so that you will be able to see what the book will be able to offer you as a reader.

Part I Core Concepts:

Chapter 1 Crypto Refresh
Chapter 2 Understanding PKI Building Blocks
Chapter 3 PKI Processes and Procedures
Chapter 4 Troubleshooting

Part II Design and Solutions:

Chapter 5 Generic PKI Designs
Chapter 6 Integration in Large-Scale Site-to-Site VPN Solutions
Chapter 7 Integration in Remote Access VPN Solutions
Chapter 8 Using 802.1X Certificates in Identity-Based Networking
Chapter 9 PKI in Unified Communications

Part III Case Studies:

Chapter 10 Understanding Cisco Virtual Office
Chapter 11 Deploying VPNs with PKI Using Cisco Security Manager

So as one can see the book covers a lot of ground in a very efficient manner. I will not lie this book did talk about things that I have never worked with or encountered before in my career or my studies. While other stuff I had in fact seen or at at least heard about before. Now someone who actually works in the Computer Security field this book would be a great guide to read and to probably carry around as well.

Again here is the information about the book in case you would like to look it up and purchase it.
PKI Uncovered at Cisco Press
IISBN-13: 1-58705-916-2     ISBN-10: 1-58705-916-9  
The book is written by the following team of writers,
Andre Karamanian, CCIE
Srinivas Tenneti, CCIE
Francois Dessart, CCIE






No comments: